Monday, December 28, 2009

Closet Commando: South of the Border


This year for the holidays I have left the busy hub-bub of New York city for the slower stylings of Mexico. Down here color is paramount. The sun is bright, the desert is vast, and color is painted on every free surface as loudly as possible. Meanwhile, I am forced to cast aside my grey and black color palate, although I must admit that I am still sporting SPF factor 90 to maintain my New York pallor.
This is all very therapeutic for me, in fact, as I have recently been attempting to allow more color into my wardrobe. After 9 years in the city, it seems to have all but been eradicated. Back in September I actually found this mexican woven vest in a second hand store in the west village, and immediately snapped it up. I love the multi-tonal woven texture and how it plays off of neutral colors (such as my beloved grey). Stylistically, it plays well with the boyfriend look as its boxy quality is casual cool.
I am hoping that as I travel further south into mexico I can score some similar pieces. Maybe a skirt or dress (to wear with my cropped leather jacket), and a bag would be nice too (I'm thinking a bright woven fabric with leather handles).
In the meantime, I have seen many designers incorporating this look into pieces you can find in the shops now. I saw several grey t-shirts with mexican colorful embroidery sewn right into the neckline at TopShop last month.
*disclaimer: in case you haven't read previous Closet Commando posts, my 'bandit mask' (or bandito, here in mexico) is not actually suggested attire for normal social contact. It is simply a blogger device to show the clothes without splashing my persona in your face every week (Andy Warhol, eat yer heart out).

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Closet Commando: South of the Border"