Monday, February 22, 2010

Fashion Week Trend-watch: Leather Leggings


First of all, forgive me my delayed postings. I humbly attended as many shows as humanly possible, and now I must digest, photoshop, and write. But given enough time, and I will deliver the goods.
First up is a growing trend, and one I personally am lusting for: Leather Leggings. I had previously done a posting when I worked with a super-model who had arrived on set with the most fantastic pair of Rag and Bone leather leggings (given to her, of course). Since then I have had my eyes open for a pair, and apparently a lot of designers have been busily making their own versions for the Fall/Winter 2010 runways.
I think what is making them so great is the invention of 'stretch leather'. It's buttery, it breathes, and it stretches without losing it's shape. In the distant past, I was afraid of leather pants because they were so thick and restricting. I could only imagine the sweat soaking into the unforgiving lining, and the mere act of sitting down seemed like it would be an ordeal. They were often uncomfortably tight on top, but woefully wide around the lower leg and ankle.
But now leather leggings have come to the fore. They are soft and stretchy, warm for winter but still breathable, and are skinny all the way to the ankle, making them sexy as hell.
I saw many pairs grace the runway this season, so I expect there will be many choices this coming winter. Pictured above from left to right are: Diane Von Furstenberg, L.A.M.B., Cushnie et Ochs, and Derek Lam. Pictured below from left to right: Zero Maria Cornejo, William Rast, Catherine Malandrino, Diesel, and Max Azria(photos taken from Style.com)
They are a pricey item for the wardrobe, but one I expect a person could get a lot of use out of over the years.

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Fashion Week Trend-watch: Leather Leggings"