Wednesday, March 17, 2010

New designer love: Maisonette 1977


Market week is well upon us, and the invites are pouring in to drop into showrooms and take a closer look at what will be hitting stores this fall.
So I was strolling through one of my favorite PR houses, gushing over dresses I had seen at fashionweek that were even more spectacular up close, when I chanced upon the wonderful new design label Maisonette 1977. In fact, it was one particular draped dress with a diagonal exposed zipper on the front that had me at 'hello'.
This is the second collection designed by Jane Ibrahim, but essentially the launch of a new line. Her pedigree is well refined having worked with the likes of Michael Kors, Yigal Azrouel, Oscar by Oscar De La Renta, Bill Blass New York, Theory, and Cynthia Steffe. This young new designer professes a love of grunge, which is apparent in this collection with her use of plaid and wooly layering.
Personally, I am loving the fact that grunge is coming back in, but in a somehow more elaborate and refined way than before. Afterall, I lived it. I was wearing boyfriend jackets over velvet dresses when I was in college, and well before anyone coined the term 'boyfriend jacket'. And frankly, I never even stopped wearing biker boots with my dresses since 1992. Just another example of sticking with what works for you. Still, the second go-around is always better, and grunge is no exception. Better textiles, better silhouettes, and definitely better boots.
Anyway, keep an eye out for Maisonette 1977. With her delicate draping, edgy style, modern silhouettes, and masterful mixing of textures and patterns, I think Jane will go far. I mean, look at those trousers! Most designers are hitting this trend, but I feel like Janes sense of proportion is spot on.
All pictures are pulled from the Maisonette 1977 website, and represent my favorite looks from the collection.

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

2 comments: on "New designer love: Maisonette 1977"

Jessie @ Style and Pepper said...

i LOVEEE these looks. adding to inspiration boards immediately. :)

Anonymous said...

Maisonette 1977 can be found at www.ShopErez.com and the dress that you are talking about, its amazing and they totally have it!!!! Love that designer!