Thursday, March 18, 2010

Strong shoulders dominate the trends


As a girl with tiny inconsequential shoulders, I am loving the strong shoulder trend. I need help in that arena. An embellished and architectural shoulder balances out my hips and draws the eye to my face, as if it was perfectly placed between two ornate bookends. Strong shoulders give me strength and poise (to mask how the economy might have me sloped and slouching around).
I am digging shoulderpad trend version 2.0 which is severe in architecture and actually more pointy and small, rather than the large rounded and line-backeresque version 1.0 (as seen in any John Hughes movie). Or else, just a great embellishment will do the trick.
And whereas this is something I am seeing all over the runways and the high-street alike, it is also something easily replicated with a little bit of DIY. One can buy shoulderpads of different shapes and sizes at your local fabric and crafts shop. Or else, a few pyramid studs or sequined appliques could be added to a simple t-shirt. I mean, go nuts. Anything you find that comes in a pair and can be sewn to your shoulders is fair game, if you ask me. Let's all be a little bit Gaga.
In the picture above (top left to right, then bottom left to right): William Rast, Staerk, Temperley, Jen Kao, Rodarte, VPL, Derek Lam, and Vena Cava. (pictures pulled from Style.com)

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Strong shoulders dominate the trends"