Thursday, February 24, 2011

splash some color on that neutral!


For a good few seasons now, I have been adoring the combinations of neutrals. Nudes and tans paired with greys and textural silvers. Greys paired with caramel leather. Every subtle contrasty nuance really whetted my aesthetic appetite. 
The next step has finally come, with brightly colored prints and embroidery gracing taupe, tan, and khaki fabrics. I adore this unexpected contrast. The sea of sandy earthtone is enough to make the brightest and busiest pattern a just subtle flirt. And the color elevates the khaki out of utilitarian and into femininity.
I don't see how you can go wrong with a piece like those I have seen on the runways for Fall 2011. I imagine they will be in your closet for years to come.
I love the whimsical bird pattern of the Mulberry dress on the left. On the right, Matthew Williamson takes a step back from his usual 100% color saturation, placing his bright embroidery on an unexpected canvas.  Having made many trips to Mexico, I am used to seeing such bright floral embroidery on equally bright whites, which is often too much for my aesthetic.
I can't wait for these pieces (and ones like them) to hit the stores, so in the mean time, I will have to throw on some bright colored accessories and shoes with my khakis and tans.
Photos by style.com

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "splash some color on that neutral!"