Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Style-out for my new fave piece


First I obsess over a piece, dreaming as I build imaginary outfits around it. In this case it was the Valentino for Gap army parka. I had been looking for an army parka for a while as I feel like a neutral army green is a great way to add an authentic punky edge without overdoing black leather and studs. For me, it's also an homage to my long distant activist days, where the army-navy store was a major resource for durable clothes and boots.
I ended up choosing the Valentino version because I wanted a whimsical heightened version of my former self. Also because Manhattan is beginning to look like it's under marshall law, and all the enforcers are thin 20-something gals with great hair and impractical shoes. I figured I might as well go ahead and acknowledge my femininity a bit more.
The idea was to throw it over anything and everything from sequined dresses, regular skinny jean outfits, and bright colors such as magenta. And lo, I have had much luck with pairing it with everything. I just can't go wrong.
None-the-less, I do love to fantasize the perfect outfit, which I have created above. I chose a delicate silk print dress in a bright pink by Tucker. I love pink with army green, and I think the reason is that this color combo occurs in nature. Every flower combines a bright color with green stem, nestled in a flounce of green leaves. I am loving sheer black hosiery, especially those that feature a subtle texture such as small black dots. I would also be partial to a black seam up the back. Chunky casual heeled black booties give an edge while elongating the leg. I am loving these inspired by desert boots (which I am seeing everywhere these days). And finally, I like to top off my look with a bit of vintage inspired bling. Again, it's the unexpected texture and shine that pops off nicely with the rough and ready army neutral.
Jacket: Valentino for Gap (check ebay if you must)
Silk Dress: Tucker
Jewelry: Lulu Frost
Shoes: MIA

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Style-out for my new fave piece"