Monday, February 1, 2010

Purse Crisis Solved (pt.2): Mexico + DIY


My purse crisis was not just about finding a small evening bag, I also wanted to add some color to my grey world (a pursuit I have mentioned many times on this blog. It's on-going). I had previously reported on the resurgence of ethnic textiles into fashion of late. I have drooled over Etro prints as well as woven bags from India and Guatemala. So, it goes without saying that during my recent trip to Mexico, I was in the market for a new colorful handwoven bag. Again, I had many requirements. I personally was interested in a bold pop of magenta on a beautifully woven and embroidered textile. I wanted to acquire both a small evening bag (as my array of little black dresses often need some joy added to them), as well as a larger hobo bag. The tough part was avoiding the touristy chintz that is often for sale. I came to the conclusion that I simply needed to find something with the right fabric and size, and that I could make up-grades upon my return to the States.
For this particular bag, I decided to replace the cheap black cord strap with brass chain from Toho Shoji. I also replaced a wood button with a brass one from M&J Trim. It wasn't a huge change, but enough to transform the bag from hippy to chic.
I also purchased a hobo bag that I intend to add caramel leather straps to. I am looking out for a beat-up vintage belt to use. Watch this space for the results...

Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Purse Crisis Solved (pt.2): Mexico + DIY"